Club Runs - 9th February

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Beacon RCC, David Cole, Andy Terry, Kermit, WorcsPhil

Post Reply
WorcsPhil
Posts: 676
Joined: 14 Oct 2012 21:57
Real Name: Phil Richards

Club Runs - 9th February

Post by WorcsPhil » 03 Feb 2020 10:09

02.02.2020 Yesterday was a palindrome day, I don't think we make the most of them, do you? It's months till the next one (there's your quiz for the day...when is the next one?). Anyway, to celebrate, Andy Wrightson said yesterday on entering the café "Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog" :D :D

It seemed an eventful A/B ride yesterday with plenty of tyre blowouts, like buses arriving all at once, it happens in bunches some times, eh? Perhaps we can all have a long discussion on the merits of tubeless v clinchers in the cafes of the Midlands later this month.

This week's rides are so full of promise, you'd be mad to miss them...details below:

Saturday 8 February - Storm replacement club runs ( both club runs leave at 09:15)
A/B: Salwarpe cafe - Philip Whiteman
C: Droitwich - Pete Norman

Sunday 9 February
A: Destination TBC - Vince Tennant
B: Wyre Forest - Simon Woodward ( leaving whatever the weather!!)
C:

User avatar
Simon Woodward
Posts: 84
Joined: 21 May 2017 21:49
Real Name:

Re: Club Runs - 9th February

Post by Simon Woodward » 03 Feb 2020 11:26

The B ride to Wyre forest will hopefully follow this route - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31859593

The route takes us out via Kinver and Enville then comes back via Hartlebury and Chaddesley Corbett
55 Miles in total with the cafe at 30 miles.

User avatar
Philip Whiteman
Posts: 1781
Joined: 19 Nov 2006 16:17
Real Name:
Location: Drayton, Worcestershire

Re: Club Runs - 9th February

Post by Philip Whiteman » 03 Feb 2020 12:35

Simon Woodward wrote:
03 Feb 2020 11:26
The B ride to Wyre forest will hopefully follow this route - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31859593

The route takes us out via Kinver and Enville then comes back via Hartlebury and Chaddesley Corbett
55 Miles in total with the cafe at 30 miles.
Great destination. If it is not piddling down then I may join the B run. However, I am wondering what project management tool you use in business planning for your club run? To date I have been using Prince2 to achieve strategic objectives but I am now considering AGILE due to its more iterative methodology. My audaxes are currently managed using SAP but that seems a bit overkill for a club run.

User avatar
ballintrane
Posts: 307
Joined: 05 Jan 2014 19:39
Real Name: Paul Johnson

Re: Club Runs - 9th February

Post by ballintrane » 03 Feb 2020 12:59

Philip Whiteman wrote:
03 Feb 2020 12:35
Simon Woodward wrote:
03 Feb 2020 11:26
The B ride to Wyre forest will hopefully follow this route - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31859593

The route takes us out via Kinver and Enville then comes back via Hartlebury and Chaddesley Corbett
55 Miles in total with the cafe at 30 miles.
Great destination. If it is not piddling down then I may join the B run. However, I am wondering what project management tool use in business planning for your club run? To date I have been using Prince2 to achieve strategic objectives but I am now considering AGILE due to its more iterative methodology. My audaxes are currently managed using SAP but that seems a bit overkill for a club run.
giphy (12).gif
giphy (12).gif (138.39 KiB) Viewed 939 times
Paul Johnson

User avatar
jdtate101
Posts: 275
Joined: 02 Oct 2011 21:12
Real Name: James Tate
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Club Runs - 9th February

Post by jdtate101 » 05 Feb 2020 16:14

Weather for Sunday is looking real BAD, heavy winds and rain ALL day...
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (115.4 KiB) Viewed 816 times

User avatar
Philip Whiteman
Posts: 1781
Joined: 19 Nov 2006 16:17
Real Name:
Location: Drayton, Worcestershire

Re: Club Runs - 9th February

Post by Philip Whiteman » 05 Feb 2020 17:17

jdtate101 wrote:
05 Feb 2020 16:14
Weather for Sunday is looking real BAD, heavy winds and rain ALL day...
The Corporate Director for Club Runs has an organisational resilience plan for dealing with such meteorological situations. Our strategy is customer focused and I guess that runs may be cancelled. I am sure that strong leadership will produce announcements about the day but I don't expect to hear anything until nearer the time. Even if they go ahead and we have the storm, I will vote with my pillow and duvet. My vision is not to get blown off and soaked to the skin.

User avatar
Simon Woodward
Posts: 84
Joined: 21 May 2017 21:49
Real Name:

Re: Club Runs - 9th February

Post by Simon Woodward » 05 Feb 2020 17:38

Philip Whiteman wrote:
05 Feb 2020 17:17
The Corporate Director for Club Runs has an organisational resilience plan for dealing with such meteorological situations. Our strategy is customer focused and I guess that runs may be cancelled off. I am sure that strong leadership will produce announcements about the day but I don't expect to hear anything until nearer the time.
Is this a cycling club or a beach club?

I'd like to assure everyone that I will not be cancelling the B ride because of a little bit of wind and rain.
In fact I'm quite looking forward to the double digit temperatures and the tail wind on the way home.

User avatar
Philip Whiteman
Posts: 1781
Joined: 19 Nov 2006 16:17
Real Name:
Location: Drayton, Worcestershire

Re: Club Runs - 9th February

Post by Philip Whiteman » 05 Feb 2020 17:59

Simon Woodward wrote:
05 Feb 2020 17:38
Philip Whiteman wrote:
05 Feb 2020 17:17
The Corporate Director for Club Runs has an organisational resilience plan for dealing with such meteorological situations. Our strategy is customer focused and I guess that runs may be cancelled off. I am sure that strong leadership will produce announcements about the day but I don't expect to hear anything until nearer the time.
Is this a cycling club or a beach club?

I'd like to assure everyone that I will not be cancelling the B ride because of a little bit of wind and rain.
In fact I'm quite looking forward to the double digit temperatures and the tail wind on the way home.
It sounds as though you have experience of riding on the Western Isles. Come to think of it you have. Now that sorts the wheat from the chaff.

PeteNorman
Posts: 73
Joined: 26 Jul 2014 16:12
Real Name: Pete Norman

Re: Club Runs - C Ride Saturday 8th February

Post by PeteNorman » 06 Feb 2020 11:16

I don't plan on riding out on Sunday.

I will lead a C paced ride on SATURDAY 8th February to Sandwyche Café at Droitwich if anyone wants to join me.
I'll leave Black Horse at 9.15am. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31883323

It's only 40 miles so back by 1pm, no one left behind. (Up to the Committee if it counts for club points! I'm easy!)

great weather! Reversed the route so out Tardebigge and back St Kenelms!

Richard Chaplin
Adrian McHugh
Pete Norman (Lead)
Last edited by PeteNorman on 08 Feb 2020 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Philip Whiteman
Posts: 1781
Joined: 19 Nov 2006 16:17
Real Name:
Location: Drayton, Worcestershire

Re: Club Runs - 9th February

Post by Philip Whiteman » 06 Feb 2020 13:16

Due to the forecast I don't plan on riding a Sunday club run either. I'll lead a Saturday A/B Run from the Black Horse at 0915 to Churchfields, Salwarpe.

WorcsPhil
Posts: 676
Joined: 14 Oct 2012 21:57
Real Name: Phil Richards

Re: Club Runs - 9th February

Post by WorcsPhil » 06 Feb 2020 15:45

Good thinking, chaps.

Of course, these Saturday rides will get club run points. The over-riding mantra of club runs in Beacon is suggest what you want to do and put it out there. Others invariably follow. Volunteering to do something different including this week’s sensible and safer option will only be encouraged. I also encourage:

- Women’s only rides
- Regular Beacon bursts - 40milers with no cafe stop
- E-bikes are welcome on club Runs, this isn’t a Sportive, it would be interesting to see how you get on with e-bikes as I am sure many people are interested in them.
- Anything and everything is allowed.
- publicised club runs on other days in certain circumstances, with this week being a prime example

(Surely, I could not be clearer on the flexibility of club runs within Beacon...I love innovation)

So there you go, fellow Beaconites, this week you have the choice of shorter, pleasant Saturday club rides or a testing Sunday ride to gauge just how wind proof your new jacket is. Your choice, but come along and participate.

Be safe out there.

PaulB
Posts: 13
Joined: 22 Aug 2012 07:24
Real Name: Paul Balfe
Location: Rednal

Re: Club Runs - C Ride Saturday 8th February

Post by PaulB » 06 Feb 2020 17:48

PeteNorman wrote:
06 Feb 2020 11:16
I don't plan on riding out on Sunday.

I will lead a C paced ride on SATURDAY 8th February to Sandwyche Café at Droitwich if anyone wants to join me.
I'll leave Black Horse at 9.15am. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31883323

It's only 40 miles so back by 1pm, no one left behind. (Up to the Committee if it counts for club points! I'm easy!)

Pete
Hi Pete

Love to come out, aint been out with Beacon for 4 weeks now but have a ride already planned with the QEHB VElO, supporting the less experienced riders get ready for the Velo in June
I'll see you soon
Thank You

Paul B

User avatar
Simon Woodward
Posts: 84
Joined: 21 May 2017 21:49
Real Name:

Re: Club Runs - 9th February

Post by Simon Woodward » 09 Feb 2020 14:59

At the Black Horse the ride leaders agreed to all head out on the same route. We were worried about overwhelming the cafe with numbers but felt they should be able to cope if we staggered our arrival.

Unfortunately the cafe at Wyre forest was closed. Apparently it was too dangerous, though we never did discover what the danger was?

The ride was very pleasant with just the occasional squall. The swell when rounding Cape Quantry on the way home was particularly heavy.

Ade Ravenscroft - Leading the A
Simon Woodward - Leading the B
Robbie Naish - Leading the C
Last edited by Simon Woodward on 09 Feb 2020 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

AdeR
Posts: 131
Joined: 08 Feb 2015 18:34
Real Name: Adrian Ravenscroft
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Club Runs - 9th February

Post by AdeR » 09 Feb 2020 15:15

Great ride :-)
formerly BeaconNewb

User avatar
Philip Whiteman
Posts: 1781
Joined: 19 Nov 2006 16:17
Real Name:
Location: Drayton, Worcestershire

Re: Club Runs - 9th February

Post by Philip Whiteman » 09 Feb 2020 15:38

Simon Woodward wrote:
09 Feb 2020 14:59
At the Black Horse the 3 ride leaders agreed to all head out on the same route. We were worried about overwhelming the cafe with numbers but felt they should be able to cope if we staggered our arrival.

Unfortunately the cafe at Wyre forest was closed. Apparently it was too dangerous, though we never did discover what the danger was?

The ride was very pleasant with just the occasional squall. The swell when rounding Cape Quantry on the way home was particularly heavy.

Ade Ravenscroft - Leading the A
Simon Woodward - Leading the B
Robbie Naish - Leading the C

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dave Cox
Posts: 695
Joined: 23 Jan 2007 18:03
Real Name:

Re: Club Runs - 9th February

Post by Dave Cox » 10 Feb 2020 06:52

Chapeau to Simon, Ade and Robbie. Probably a good idea to ride separately? A large group is more likely to be blown into each other which is why I once drove to the Black Horse and cancelled a ride in a gale. Ruth Eyles and Tony Shardlow rode on and were OK. I did a ride in high winds years ago with a friend and we had to climb over a fallen oak near Blackwell but otherwise found the hedges and deep cut lanes protected us quite well.

Perhaps we need a new set of rules for post-armageddon club runs? Including one rider carrying a camping stove CTC style, another the water and the third some coffee and dried noodles in case all cafes wimp out? Riders must be consenting adults of course and Extra points all round.

In the US where natural disasters are common I read an article about Disaster Bikes to keep in your basement or garage. Basically either a basic MTB or Dutch bike with bomb proof tyres and heavy duty rack to carry supplies. Bikes can be the first vehicles to get moving. If you've a dynamo you can even deliver a baby as Call The Midwife demonstrated a while ago.

Post Reply