Changes in CUK Guidance on Group Rides

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

Philip Whiteman

Changes in CUK Guidance on Group Rides

Post by Philip Whiteman » 07 Sep 2020 09:25

https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/coronavi ... up-cycling

Cycling UK is advising that group riding of up to 15 people can now go ahead in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in accordance with latest Government guidance, but it is urging everyone to follow best practice to minimise risk.

This has obvious implications for club runs as it allows for an increase from the current limit of six.

laurence_cooley

Re: Changes in CUK Guidance on Group Rides

Post by laurence_cooley » 07 Sep 2020 11:30

We had a brief discussion about this as a committee last week and I think the consensus was to stick with a limit of six for now. As noted by George here, there's some inconsistency in the advice and BC are still saying six. BC's advice seems consistent with this government guidance, so I'm not sure where Cycling UK are getting the 15 figure from.
Last edited by laurence_cooley on 07 Sep 2020 11:37, edited 3 times in total.

George

Post by George » 07 Sep 2020 11:30

Phil, the committee discussed this issue on line a few days ago. Although CUK are now saying that up to fifteen is okay, BC continue to advise limiting group rides to six. And the official government advise is utterly opaque and therefore inconclusive. The committee therefore decided to leave things as they are until the situation becomes clearer. The sign-on system with a six-rider limit has been working well, and provides a little more reassurance for anyone who remains uneasy about these strange times we're living through.
Last edited by George on 07 Sep 2020 11:32, edited 2 times in total.

George

Post by George » 07 Sep 2020 11:31

Apologies the duplication, there. I think Laurence and I were typing at the same time.

George

Post by George » 07 Sep 2020 12:16

I take back what I said about government guidance being opaque. It's actually pretty unambiguous on this point:

"You can now exercise alone, with members of your household, or with up to 5 other people from outside your household. Up to two households are permitted to gather in groups of more than 6 people indoors or outdoors, provided members of different households can follow social distancing guidelines. Otherwise, gatherings of more than 6 people indoors or outdoors continue not to be permitted, unless this is essential for work purposes."

The only thing that's actually unclear is how CUK interpret that as meaning up to fifteen is okay. (Thanks for making this point in the Twitter feed, Laurence.)

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 07 Sep 2020 12:47

George wrote:
07 Sep 2020 12:16
The only thing that's actually unclear is how CUK interpret that as meaning up to fifteen is okay. (Thanks for making this point in the Twitter feed, Laurence.)
I've seen several people ask them on Twitter to explain how they came up with 15, but haven't seen a reply yet.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 07 Sep 2020 14:02

Many thanks all. That is useful to know.

Probably tangential to club runs but the situation is somewhat difficult for the forthcoming Beacon RCC X rated audaxes. The AUK Gen Sec produced the following statement on the current opaque situation:

We have made a distinction between Permanent rides and Calendar events.

Permanent rides have a daily limit of riders pegged to the number of different households that are permitted to gather outside in the area of the ride - that number is 6 in England.

That limit is a fairly blunt instrument (but a practicable one for our association) to maintain the distinction between Permanent rides and Calendar events. For that reason it is possibly unlikely that the daily limit would move in line with any dramatic increase in permitted numbers.

Calendar events meanwhile are the subject of more detailed national guidance that has been agreed by DCMS, Sport Wales and sportscotland respectively.

Cycling UK has now followed a similar route - ie adopting British/Scottish guidance with adaptations (they do not appear to have engaged separately with Sport Wales) to allow resumption of their organised group rides. They have adopted a limit of 15 riders across England, Wales and Scotland despite the opportunity to have higher numbers. This probably reflects the differences between those rides and our own calendar events.

We have agreed limits at the maximum in Wales and Scotland and have set a "lighter touch" limit of 30 in England with the opportunity for larger events that can show they can be run COVID secure.

The issue of riders on the road is a bit more nuanced. In Scotland, for instance, you can have 30 people riding together on an organised event that has complied with all the necessary stipulations (as we have done and our organisers will do in each case). However, the limitations on outdoor gatherings (5 households) apply at the start and finish and at controls. I did query with sportscotland whether it was possible to run a series of different groups of 30 with different start times to allow for larger events. This is not possible as groups must not overlap before, during or after the event.

The guidance we have published has been slightly future-proofed in so far as it refers to current guidance rather than absolute numbers. The guidance is there but it is really up to organisers and, ultimately, individuals to understand and comply with national and local rules - as was the case pre-pandemic.

For the audaxes. riders will be instructed to ride groups of no more than six people, on which I have to trust them. Whilst thirty can be out on the road riding, the limit of six will be interesting with regard to the number of people at registration. My solution is to recommend, though not compel, start times. Compulsion is a problem where six people decide to ride together prior to the event.