What is 'second claim' membership...??

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

John Sanderson

What is 'second claim' membership...??

Post by John Sanderson » 16 Feb 2009 11:40

Help.

I am a geographically displaced Beaconite - living in Suffolk/Essex. I am keen on road racing, which is locally dominated by the Eastern region Road Race League. This means that the starting places are basically reserved for local clubs.

I'd quite like to race in these ERRL races - so think that realisitically I need to join a local club - but don't want to sever my links to the Beacon (I feel an odd attachment to the club - as it is the first 'team' i've ever been a part of and, despite not having been on a club run for over 3 years, feel somehow part of a family).

I've heard the term 'second claim' - but don't know what this is or if it could be a way I could be a member of, and race for, two clubs at once!

Any advice?!
It's all about the bike.

Ringo

Post by Ringo » 16 Feb 2009 12:12

i'm not too sure but i think that as a second claim member you are still considered a member of the club and will recieve any news letters/e-mails about club goings on. but i don't think you can represent us in an open race. you can only race for 1 club which is your first claim club.

see here:

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/joining/index.html

i think it clears it up at the bottom. hope that helps.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 16 Feb 2009 13:01

In short the idea of second claim membership allows you to be a member of more than one club and stops jersey switching when entering events.

Perhaps it is easer to say what a second claim member cannot do in a club. They cannot race under its colour in formal events such as open tts, road races, crits, etc (nothing stopping you on challenge rides, etc). Second claim members cannot vote on club matters or become a committee member. Other than that, you can participate in and benefit from most other activities.

Putting that aside, it would be a shame to loose our East of England Division. I was slightly horrified that the local clubs have effectively formed a cartel and blocked riders from entering who are from clubs outside of the area.

George

Post by George » 16 Feb 2009 13:06

The crucial difference is that a second-claim member can't race for his/her second-claim club.

BC and CTT rules allow you to be a first-claim member of only one club. So the only way to get preferential access to local events would be to resign your first-claim Beacon membership and join a club in your local division. If you did that, you could remain associated with the Beacon as a social member (i.e. second-claim member). As a social member you'd be able to do everything a first-claim member can do, except race in the Beacon's name/colours and vote at AGMs. Naturally, we'd be sorry to lose you as a first-claim member, but I can see why someone in your position would want to join a local club. If you decide to go down that path, you should get in touch with Neil (membership[at]beaconrcc[dot]org[dot]uk).

George

Post by George » 16 Feb 2009 13:08

Sorry for the duplication -- Phil must have posted while I was still writing!

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 16 Feb 2009 13:35

Philip Whiteman wrote:I was slightly horrified that the local clubs have effectively formed a cartel and blocked riders from entering who are from clubs outside of the area.
If you think about it for a while you may be less horrified. If a group of clubs get together to put on a series of races then it doesn't really seem unreasonable to give priority to entries from those clubs. What 'right' has anyone got to be allowed to ride in races which a group of volunteers is kindly making time to organise anyway? Besides, this kind of preferential treatment has already been announced by Richard Lodge for the West Mids League due to start this year.

The point which I don't think has been mentioned is that John could do BCF races in the name of an ERRL club, but TTs in the name of the Beacon. The two organisations are completely separate, so as long as he is consistent in which club he rides for in any given type of event, no problem should arise.

I don't know whether he would then be classed as first or second claim to the Beacon, though. Presumeably he would be 1st claim if he paid the full subs.

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 17 Feb 2009 11:35

Thanks for everyones comments - and i like the idea that Ruth has floated re: TT-ing for the Beacon (although I am still to be convinced about buying a skin suit!) but BC Road Racing for a 'local' club.

I think i'll bite the bullet and go for first claim membership in the East, but am more than happy to continue paying £15 a year to the Beacon as I think the message board alone is worth it!

Now I just need to choose a club with a nice kit!
It's all about the bike.