Going Tubeless - Road Wheels

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

AlanW

Going Tubeless - Road Wheels

Post by AlanW » 12 May 2013 16:22

I went tubeless on my MTB three or fours years ago and it has to have been one of the best modifications I have ever done.

So with that in mind, I have been pondering for quite a while about going tubeless on my road wheels as well.

Anyway, yesterday was the day I decided to go for it. I already a pair of Ultegra tubeless wheels, a couple of valves and a bottle of sealant, I hadn't used tubeless specific tyres on my MTB and have had no problems what so ever, so I decided to use my normal Conti GP4000S tyres, nothing to lose and everything to gain.

In truth the installation could not have been any easier, certainly a lot easier than when I did my MTB wheels.

I did the front wheel first and it inflated and held pressure near away straight away. Then spent 1/4 hour or so rotating wheel around to make sure that the liquid Latex sealant was equally coated to the internal carcass of the tyre. A few bubbles appeared on the side walls as the sealant was seeping out, but it soon sealed up okay.

Now the rear wheel, and this one was not quite as easy. For what ever reason the side walls were much more porous than the front tyre and I had a hell of a job getting the tyre to hold pressure. But in the end I got it to hold at about 60psi. Any higher pressure than that and the sealant was just simply vaporising as it left the side walls and was not sealing the holes.

So I decided to leave it over night at 60 psi and try again this morning. Now its also fair to add that while we were watching the TV last night I had both wheels in the living room and every 10 minutes or so I would rotate both wheels just to get the liquid Latex to coat more on the inside of the tyre.

First thing this morning and I checked on the wheels, the front was still holding at 100 psi with no problem. The rear wheel was also holding pressure albeit only at 60 psi.

So off I popped into the garage to increase the pressure in the rear to 100psi. Connected the track pump and slowly started to increase the pressure. Then it happened.........

BANG

The flipping tyre blew clean of the rim, and did you know how large an area 2oz of liquid Latex covers when it explodes?

Trust me, its a flppin' lot, the garage ceiling, the floor, all the shoes on the rack, the bench, the inside of the door, the cupboard doors, most things that were on the shelf and of course yours truly. Not helped by the fact that I had the wheel leaning up against my left leg when it exploded!

I have since learnt that it is NOT recommended to use non tubeless tyres as they can blow of the rims without warning as apparently tubeless ready tyres are more reinforced on the beading.

Guess what....yep they do!!!

Now where did I put those tubes.... :oops:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 12 May 2013 16:37

Bonfire night's come early in the weaver household!
Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 12 May 2013 16:43

<@>

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 12 May 2013 16:44

HAZBRO wrote:Bonfire night's come early in the weaver household!
Taking into account that this happened at 06:30 this morning and the bang woke my next door neighbour up...... :shock:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Alistair Hey

Re: Going Tubeless - Road Wheels

Post by Alistair Hey » 12 May 2013 16:59

AlanW wrote: I have since learnt that it is NOT recommended to use non tubeless tyres as they can blow of the rims without warning as apparently tubeless ready tyres are more reinforced on the beading.

Guess what....yep they do!!!

Now where did I put those tubes.... :oops:

i believe they incorporate some carbon fiber into the beading to stop this from happening.

I look forward to hearing how these go- contemplating tubeless myself but have had no previous experience.

AlanW

Re: Going Tubeless - Road Wheels

Post by AlanW » 12 May 2013 17:09

Alistair Hey wrote: i believe they incorporate some carbon fiber into the beading to stop this from happening.
Correct they do
Alistair Hey wrote: I look forward to hearing how these go- contemplating tubeless myself but have had no previous experience.
Not to sure if I will continue down this route if I have to buy specific tubeless tyres to be honest, At least not at the moment as there are not that many tyre choices.

Alistair Hey

Post by Alistair Hey » 12 May 2013 17:10

fair enough- i haven't had a single **flat** in 2000 miles with my continental gatorskins. (so far!!!)

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 12 May 2013 17:12

Victims of Shell Ford deserve a photo of the carnage, a video would be even better :lol:
Eat cake before you're hungry

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 12 May 2013 17:18

CakeStop wrote:Victims of Shell Ford deserve a photo of the carnage, a video would be even better :lol:
Not a chance!!

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 12 May 2013 20:14

If only I would have done some research first:-

Please note, unlike with mountain bike conversions, specific Road Tubeless tires are required for conversion. They have been designed with a folding tire bead that will not stretch and cause catastrophic blowouts. Road Tubeless tires must be used and we have partnered with Hutchinson to provide three excellent options.

So my next question is, why dont the non tubeless tyres blow of when using a tube then??

100psi is 100psi isnt it?

Alistair Hey

Post by Alistair Hey » 12 May 2013 22:23

you are correct 100psi=100psi.

but i would guess that a bead that has stretched will allow a small amount of gas to escape, reducing the coefficient of friction between the tyre and rim causing a sudden and violent escape of 100psi.

whilst air is in the tube at 100psi it cant flow in the same manner (the pressure difference between the inside of the tyre,outside the tube, and the surrounding air is close to 0).

this is only an educated guess based on a module i am studying at university.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 13 May 2013 09:11

Alistair Hey wrote:you are correct 100psi=100psi.

but i would guess that a bead that has stretched will allow a small amount of gas to escape, reducing the coefficient of friction between the tyre and rim causing a sudden and violent escape of 100psi.

whilst air is in the tube at 100psi it cant flow in the same manner (the pressure difference between the inside of the tyre,outside the tube, and the surrounding air is close to 0).

this is only an educated guess based on a module i am studying at university.
Yep, that seems logical to me.

While I accept that the tyres I used were not the correct tubeless specific tyres and that the correct tubeless tyres would not have blown off, never the less it has put me right off!!